Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Like Hemingway

Read the following passage from Ernest Hemingway’s novel The Sun Also Rises. In it, Hemingway conveys gloominess and dread by describing the weather.

“In the morning it was raining. A fog had come over the mountains from the sea. You could not see the tops of the mountains. The plateau was dull and gloomy, and the shapes of the trees and the houses were changed. I walked out beyond town to look at the weather. The bad weather was coming over the mountains from the sea.”

Write a passage that conveys a mood by describing the weather.

The mood I plan to convey is joy. Here goes:

I sat at my desk, and looked out the window. It was a very sunny day, with only one cloud in the sky. The morning dew evaporated, and all that was left was a few drops of water on my window. The only cloud that was there blocked out the southern mountains, making it seem like a storm was coming. That very same cloud seemed to dance in the wind happily.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very good poem, I love it!

    ReplyDelete